Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I hope there is reform and if the Conservatives get in next time (which I suspect will be the case), I'd hope they do address the problems faced by the NHS without applying too many of their capitalist notions or backdoor privatisation (that this government is equally guilty of!) Although the bottom line here is money, required to pay wages, build hospitals etc; services such as the health care simply do not have a 'price' something Capitalist thinking overlooks. The 'value' of health and education transcend the rather crude constraints of capitalism, an idea some Conservatives will disagree with. I agree Roger, that so many things are still wrong and require reform but then the complexity of medicine and health care increases (as do so many things) exponentially, where the funding does not! It is always going to be a seemingly impossible task but must be approached with the health of everyone in the country as the primary concern, not with efficiency measured in Sterling!

Bern is so right (as I imagine she is the most informed to talk about this subject) that this is not about choice; this is about the well being of everyone, to the best level, irrespective of financial situation. This is where general Conservative thinking eludes me. I am all for people 'making their own fortune' and meritocracy, I really am, but when we live in a country where people can get better health care just because they have more cash exposes the 'you can have it if you really want/protestant work ethic' for the pile of crud that it is! These services and fundamental rights of the citizens of this great country should be egalitarian in provision and not exclusive or dictated by money.

The same can be said for education with the highest paid jobs in this country still being dominated by ex public school students. Are these people more capable or intelligent than the proletariat? Of course not, they just speak better and sort jobs out for one and other whilst looking down their noses and making vast generalisations about everyone else!(as I am to them due to the large chip on my shoulder) Health care and education are things that need to be equal to all, which is why they require a centralisation and standardisation, which unfortunately paves the way for excessive administration and sometimes mindless 'red tape' as Barry would say. It's interesting that the Conservatives look to Sweden (who admittedly do offer 'choice' as part of their approach) as this seems to what the Conservatives are doing with education as well! However the Swedes do not vote in parties based on policies of tax cuts for the high earners, or quote the 'laffer curve' to keep the rich, rich and the poor, poor! We do!

Let's look to Sweden and increase our taxes (I'm happy to pay more if we all benefit), making sure those who get better health care and education (even if this cash is from organised crime, wealth isn't a descriptor of virtue) , pay in more to help those who have not. All that extra private health money floating about would make a huge difference to the NHS and good people such as us, wouldn't have to experience a sub-standard service to those who are more 'privileged'

end link