Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

This very interesting email has been sent in by a reader in Broadstairs. Colin let me know if I can pass on your email to the chap concerned...

Email as follows.......

Dear Mr. Boland,

I have just been directed by a colleague of mine to the excellent pictures of Colin Pritchard's Father who appears to have worked in Dover Harbour in the years before WW ll. Living in Thanet I used to visit Dover with my Parents in the early 50,s when a young boy and the enthusiasm for the Harbour and its activities has never left me. I worked for the AA at Eastern Docks in 1964 and continually from 1973 to 2002 in various jobs attached to the port. With a lifetimes interest in ships and a collection of books to match! I am attempting at the age of 65 to compile a book (possibly to ambitious) / CD of images and text of the Ports life with an emphasis on the commercial life, so much having been written about the ferry business. This includes the shipbreaking industry and salvage work carried out by The Admiralty and the Dover Harbour Board Tugs and independent salvage tugs based at the port up to the late 60's. The early passenger ship services that used to call after the Prince of Wales Pier lost its popularity with transatlantic lines.

Some of these topics are are very difficult to find information and pictures and any new pictures of whatever quality and memories, be they second generation, are of great value. I would like to meet Mr. Pritchard and view his Father's album and if he gave permission have the pictures scanned to a high quality to see if any more names and other detail appears.
    In return I would be pleased provide prints of the scans if Mr. Pritchard would like them and to hopefully answer any of Mr. Prichard's questions regarding the vessels featured or any other matters of which I may have information. The pictures would be filed and used in shows that I give to interested groups, mainly shipping, and any source or copyright is properly acknowledged. IF the CD / Book gets completed in my lifetime again acknowledgements of source would be include, at this time I do not have the facilities for cash payments for use of materials.

Thank you for your time and the interest your pages have given me.

Andrew Humphreys
    Broadstairs

end link