Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

As you say Andrew, where Dover leads, the others follow!

Seriously, though, I have long thought part of the responsibilty for the town's retail decline lies with the relatively monied denizens of the Dover-dodging suburbs. Yes, it's you I'm talking about, in your 4x4, zooming from River to Canterbury to buy that fridge you could have picked up in Dover. And you in Whitfield, buying online when you could have picked up the same product in your home town.

Can all of us say, hand on heart, that we support Dover's retail base as much as we could? Any retail recovery is indeed a chicken and egg situation, but my impression is that more people could try harder to buy things in Dover. Look upon it as a public duty. Granted, for some sectors it's a dead loss, but I feel too many people are a bit lazy and complacent about supporting their home town.

And don't bother telling me how limited shopping facilities are here, I know that better than anyone. If people really care about the town they will try a bit harder to shop here - show a bit if public spiritedness, if you will. It is the part of the equation which the oridinary citizen has some control over.

Dover is not a desperately poor town, but it looks that way as so little of its money is spent here.

The recovery, if it is to happen, has to start somewhere. Even if only 5-10% extra of people's income was spent here, it would make a difference and maybe help persuade other retailers to come in. Which would persuade more shoppers. etc etc. I refuse to believe Dover is a lost cause. Where there's a will, there a way, but does that will exist?

I recommend the book 'The Tipping Point' to see how seemingly hopeless cases can turn the corner.

end link