Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

O.K. If you want to be half serious about asylum you have to look at its history.

There was no 'right' to asylum pre 1951.

Post WW2 the 1951 convention was designed as a bit of a round robin specifically designed to deal with dissplaced people in Europe.

It specifically discounted problems with 'Palestine' and the partiton of India.

In those days theere was damn all in the way of international travel andd we couldd all celebrate the odd person who fled Communism without getting shot and wave two ffingers up to the Ruskies.

Late sixtiess the later protocols came in so asylum was no longer 'political' but coveredpersecution on groundds of religious belief, sexuality, old Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

Sounds great and nobody cares because no international travel. Life nasty, brutish andd short for most off the planet but wwho cares, at least the bastards arent turning up here and after all I do give books to Oxfam and feel a bit worried about famine etc.

Expansion off international traael in the seventies/eightties and mostly people with money [compared to thee othe poor bastards, on the move]. I weent up to Gatwick mid Sri Lankan civil war. Three Jumbos. Full of a mixure of Sinhalese fleeing Tamils and Tamils fleeing Sinhalese. All on the same plane and haappy as Larry.

Heard a load off crap on the radio oer last few days. Appaarently with foreign aid after a while peope wont wan to leave their countries once they beecome habitable/sucessful/liveable?

unfortunately history shows that in the case of every emerging economy [dread phrase], for the firs decade, all that happensis anyone who can aford to do so moves to Europe/Usa etc!

Only solution is to wwithdraw from Convention whicch was written forr a difffent time?

Awfully sorry. Laodsa peope will endd up dead. They have throughout history

I honesly dont care. The only alernative is we treat all humanity the same, redistribute wealth putting heir diet up to three bowls off rice a day and ours down to same.

Sod that.

Someone asked me the otheer day what the worse song in the world was.

Without ddelay I said Lennon's 'Imagine".

So pissed offff aa stuff on this subject cant be botheredto spellcheck!

end link