Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Bowling alley/ice rink in Canterbury - wonderful - 20 minutes away. Cinema in Canterbury same. Big cinema complex in Ashford half an hour away. Bowling alley in Ashford and in Margate and in Whitstable - 40 minutes away. My 14 year old grandaughter and her friends can buy a bus ticket that takes them anywhere in Kent for a very small amount, they love travelling around and see lots of different towns. Why does everything have to be on our doorstep? When I go out socially I love to go somewhere different. I live and work in Dover and I love my hometown, but I also like to go to other places in my free time.
    With regard to the comments referring to planning permission being refused for a bowling alley in Dover, I clearly remember reading somewhere that no such application was ever made and that this was just rumour. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read it but I know I did so Barry is right about that.
    Our own Nigel Collor has worked so hard to improve our transport system by updating our buses and bringing the high speed link to Dover so why not be glad and use it. As has been said on here more than once, Dover doesn't have enough people likely to use a bowling alley on a regular basis so no firm is likely to build one here anyway.
    With regard to football, Sue is right - it only appeals to a few of a certain age. Yes it's good for lads between 6 and 16 who like the game and want to play. I believe there may even be a girls team or two in existence, but these are only a fraction of the kids of that age - not everyone likes football.
    I hate seeing all the empty shops as much as anyone but - and I think it was Rick who said this - out of town shopping is the future. People no longer want to trapse up and down a high street going in lots of shops. They want to park free and walk into a nice big shopping complex where they have lots of shops under one roof. As Dylan said - the times are a-changing.
    So what I want, and I know not everyone will agree with me, is for all of us Dover residents to rejoice in the positives of our town, accept that life is changing and appreciate what we have. Oh and stop moaning and start smiling more

end link