Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Without continually repeating myself the smoking ban has been the major contributor to the decline in pubs, however I am not qualified to comment on the effects of the ban on the ferries.
    The initial plan was that rather than a blanket ban there should be a system where the ordinary corner boozer was exempt from the ban whereas establishments that also sold food were subject to the ban. A perfectly reasonable compromise as it gave people a choice, however a free vote in the Commons voted in favour of the blanket ban. The effect upon the trade was instant thus causing the demise of many viable and friendly pubs.
    It was considered that the non-smokers would fill the gap in that they would suddenly start going out to their local but unfortunately that never materialised.
    I generally found that those who had never smoked, like my daughters never worried about people smoking around them whereas those that had given it up were always the ones that objected.

end link