Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

On the subject of 'token' ethnic minorities, did anyone else see the TV version of Howard's End last night (written 1910).

As the Guardian says:-

One new element that has been added is the presence of characters of colour. The doctor called to examine Mrs Wilcox is Indian. The Schlegels’ maid, Annie, is black (and evidently not fully accepted by their other servants) and Bast greets a black man, dressed as he is, in the street as a social equal.

FWIW Bast also went home to a coloured wife/girlfriend!

I don't remember any of this in the original E M Forster book - but perhaps it was so normal he didn't even think it worth commenting?

Almost as good as the World Service for Black History Month celebrating the many inventions that non-Europeans had made. Apparently an African invented the traffic light! I Googled it and it turned out to be an African-American. http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/garrett-morgan-inventor-one-first-traffic-lights

Invented 'traffic' i.e. the motor car? Now would be something.

Invented 'light' i.e. the incandescent bulb? Now that also would be something.

Invent traffic light? Nah.

end link