Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Alexander D wrote:
    This thread is about the Fair Lady Britannia and the English Church.

I thought it was about you not getting on with UKIP, which is why it is in the Politics Forum

Anyway to enhance my edification I thought I'd see what the original meaning of Britannia was. Apparently, it was the Roman and Greek term for the female personification of the landmass of Great Britain, and derives from the Greek form Prettanike or Brettaniai.

And according to Encyclopaedia Britannica (they ought to know, the clue's in the name):

"In the early 3rd century Britain was divided into two provinces in order to reduce the power of its governor to rebel, as Albinus had done in 196: Britannia Superior had its capital at London and a consular governor in control of two legions and a few auxiliaries; Britannia Inferior, with its capital at York, was under a praetorian governor with one legion but many more auxiliaries."

end link