Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I was and wasnt "having a laugh" - the fact that both the PCC and the courts fail to take bias and other more nefarious behaviour by the press corps so lightly does not mean that there are not appropriate sanctions available.

Of course the domination of the traditional print media and their on-line offerings by less than a handful of exceedingly rich non-doms is a major cause for concern, but one that governments of all colours have been loath to address for fear of being pilloried by the very people they are trying to reform and by extension their readers.

We all tend towards some degree of confirmation bias in our choices of news media no matter whether it is mainstream or not; perhaps this makes us all gullible or perhaps it doesn't. I think your choice of language regarding how you classify the Guardian's position says as much about your own political leanings as it does about theirs.

All I know is that, ordinary people are being ill-served by the traditional organs of the state, the mainstream and alternative media etc. The ongoing cult of personality that surrounds many of our politicians and the sound-bite politics perfected by Campbell & Blair, as well as the rise of populism have combined to significantly diminish politics and politicians across much of the Western world and beyond. Perhaps they are now so ineffective because we hold all seem to hold them in such low esteem?

I believe that real change can only be built from the bottom up, by communities working to identify and solve the problems that the political classes in particular are not interested in.

end link