Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Captain Haddock wrote:
    Obviously not. Personally I would not give the vote to half of the over 21 year olds as putting it bluntly they don't have the intelligence to analyse the political choices unless they are put in dumbed down tabloid speak or with 'leaders' debates' on TV. We are however where we are and an age cut off seems to be the popular compromise.

I still view 18-21 year olds having the vote as the equivalent of my children telling how much I should spend on them at Christmas without them taking into account my salary or other outgoings such as shelter, food and heat. After all I do run the fifth richest household on the road don't I?

Across the pond, we are also hearing this type of democratic exclusionism. Suspicion of the democratic system is driven by the fear that white Christian America is facing demographic doom.

https://newrepublic.com/article/138019/right-giving-democracy

You only have to look at the paper press's declining/plummeting sales figures to understand that the tabloid press isn't necessarily the route to inform the 21+ generation.

While I get your second paragraph, why is it not acceptable for the 18-21 year olds to have their opinions heard about the country that they wish to live in? (Assuming we accept your summary of them as accurate.)

end link