Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

OK so heres a little brief outline of what came across to me at tonights Dover Hustings.
    In a packed hall there were some very interesting questions, but my angle is on the answers.

Lets just start by the geezers themselves;

The Green candidate, without doubt is a passionate supporter of the planet, but if she is honest looked like a fish out of water.
    Very passionate in viewpoints but often missing the opportunity to answer the question.
    Becky is passionate about Dover and I applaud anyone who at least puts there name forward.

The Lib Dem stand in candidate didn't appear that well briefed, and often wandered off into lib dem land.
    The problem was Sarah Smith (who is sadly no longer with us) although I may not agree with her politics she had the passion and even knowledge to push things in a particular direction
    Tonight's candidate pushing the referendum second vote, (although not admitting that is what it is about) will do little in Dover. Where most people have moved on accepting Brexit will happen and nowlooking at getting a best deal.

The UKIP stand in candidate, I feel came across fairly well, until he got into his view on the last leader being the leader then leaving then coming back, it made him look a little silly, but other than that he spoke openly and honestly on the questions put, and of the 5 candidates he probably came across the best.
    When he wasn't quoting national policy and a local viewpoint he did well.

The Labour candidate I feel did better than I expected, although the opening gambit appeared like a prepared speech from head office.
    I think once this stage was passed and the public questions began Stacy came into her own a little on local issues although personal things like where she works tended to drift away from the question, and her references to tories switched people off, and at one point her making comments aloud to someone in the front row doesn't go down well..
    Has she the ability/experience as the only real challenger to Charlie? Time will tell, but I don't think so.

The conservative candidate didn't appear that strong considering he is the sitting MP he did answer all the questions, but often on a national basis .
    he didn't appear to have any answers on the local shipping industry which affects us, or how to try to solve it.
    I understand he was being texted answers from the audience, as texts were seen being sent
    that saId if he cant answer for himself.
    He came across a little smug, and not really in touch with local opinion.
    This could backfire on him.

So all in all the biggest issue facing all the politicians is apathy, this is likely to be one of the lowest turnouts for a general election,
    People are not engaged with any political party, and apathy is likely to be the only winners.
    I don't share the view that youngsters are not interested in politics. Many have very strong views on wide ranging subjects but cannot find a party they can fit into so don't vote.
    that doesn't mean there not interested or don't talk about politics they do its about identity.

I'm sure as the meeting was packed others who attended will add there view.

end link