Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Peter Wallace has posted the following on DFDD page.

"Hello,

I've read the comments above and hopefully I can use something I wrote on Kevin Bland's wall earlier to explain why I thought of the idea.

In the election every candidate is allowed by electoral law to send a leaflet to every voter in the constituency for free. There's no charge to deliver it and it will be sent to around 70,000 people. That's a huge opportunity to reach people. For Kelly to contact that many people would cost around £35,000.

Many people see this election as a waste of time (following the general election and referendum we've had in the last 2 years.) People have already spoken TWICE. So, why not actually put this election to some good use. Rather than doing what candidates usually do, putting out "vote for me" leaflets, I could give a page to Kelly. If I timed it right I was thinking I could put on a list of upcoming events, so it would encourage people to get along to fundraising events. I actually had Scott Embleton's events in mind when I thought of it, as there are always events going on and it's sometimes hard to know which event to take part in.

I did talk about this with Martin, Linda and Kelly first of course and they loved the idea as a way to raise awareness.

I also said that I am happy for the other candidates to do this or to use their free leaflet for a cause they believe in. Imagine if the four big parties all did it. That's 280,000 free adverts for good causes, at not a cost to anyone.

Charlie Elphicke is the MP, has an office, staff and a column in the weekly papers. He could do something much bigger than me. Hopefully I can prompt him to think how to use his position as MP to do something amazing, which is what I think the role is all about and how I would be as an MP. No boring meet and greets, but actually changing lives for people and Dover as a community.

BUT - at this stage it is just an idea. I am putting in my nomination for Labour candidate this weekend and if I am picked I will get legal advice to make sure everything I do in the campaign is legal. This may not be allowed - but it's a positive idea I've had. I'm trying to think how I can help, like Scott and many other people have.

In the past I have been soaked in the stocks with other councillors for Kelly, helped Scott Embleton with his fundraising day at Elms Vale Rec, been to various coffee mornings and other events as well. You can look through my Facebook or twitter page to see that.

I totally accept the criticism, especially from people that don't know me, because I would be dubious too but hopefully I've explained the idea.

As I said to Kevin on the phone, over the next 7 weeks the press will have to follow around all the candidates/MP for their views and opinions. What an opportunity to use that to raise awareness for Kelly, or another good cause if people want to do something different. Obviously Charlie is in a better position to do that than me, but if we could use this publicity for a good cause (maybe Greens, UKIP or Lib Dems want to do something else) then I think we could all look back on this election and say "Dover made a difference during the election."

PS I think the Dover Express and Mercury do a fantastic job of holding people to account, delivering the news and being first on the scene with local issues. The Express has to run a lot of different stories, some scandalous and some for good causes, but they do just report the news, not make it. I wouldn't like to think of Dover without the Express. The letters page alone, giving a voice to local people, is worth it."

end link