Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Godfrey Bloom quits as Ukip MEP

"Godfrey Bloom will sit as an independent MEP until next year's European election but has not quit Ukip, it has been announced.

Bloom, an MEP for Yorkshire and Humber, was stripped of the party whip last week following offensive remarks he made about women at a party event and an altercation with a TV journalist.

Bloom said the "new Ukip" was "not really right for me any more". His spokeswoman said it was not clear whether he would seek re-election for a third term next May.

Bloom said: "I have felt for some time now that the nw Ukip is not really right for me any more perhaps than New Labour was right for the Dennis 'The beast of Bolsover' Skinner.

"However, our message is clear: self-government. Our wonderful and loyal membership will win through with their dedication and hard work. It has been a pleasure to work with them for 15 years.

"May I take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to the thousands of people who have supported me with messages of goodwill in the recent months and particularly in recent days. There have been simply too many to make a personal response, forgive me.

"I shall sit out my term as an independent and give my wholehearted support to Jane Collins, who is almost certainly going to be the next Ukip MEP and probably a second seat yet to be decided.

"I shall of course retain my membership."..."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/24/godfrey-bloom-quit-ukip-mep

end link