Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I too availed myself of the opportunity of early retirement and (apart from the odd freelance job) had no intention whatsoever of going back into full time employment.

As far as the specific case that Natalie is championing, I can speak from personal experience. When I joined Eurotunnel, it was when the company was in its infancy, long before the tunnel was opened. The chap in question would have been employed by TML at the time on an entirely separate contract.

The terms of my contract could not have been made clearer - this is the benefits package. If both you (and Eurotunnel!) last to your retirement age, it will cease to apply. I would guess from the biography that he would have been employed directly by ET sometime after 1994. The very same conditions would have applied then.

The whole thing is a farce. If she were genuinely concerned about workers' rights she would not have supported DP World being awarded £25m of our money to run the smugglers' haven that will become the Thames Freeport. I wonder what terms and conditions its employees will be expected to work under?

end link