Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I know many DDC (and DTC) staff and can attest that they are most assuredly NOT useless. In fact, quite the contrary - most of them are extremely conscientious and caring people. David, you might want to realise that they have to work in extremely regimented circumstances, many of them having had their pay frozen for three years or longer and many of them working in great fear of redundancy. This is not a set of circumstances that I suspect many would want to swap for their own.

That said, I do believe there to be a culture of passing the buck within many councils and that hiring consultants is the easy option of paving the way when difficult decisions lie ahead, it being easier to fall back on a report that points to a particular direction than it is to accept the responsibility oneself. I wish that Councils would look at the cost of these consultants and realise that, in a time of financial hardship, it would be far more in the public interest to save the expense of commissioning some half-baked consultants to produce a report that usually states the bloody obvious and actually use the far cheaper option of common sense. Money is simply too tight to fritter away in this fashion.

end link