Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Does anyone still read the Dover Express anymore? It's lost a lot of interest for me now that the local gossip column has been curtailed but I would recommend 2 articles in today's edition which had me spluttering over my morning cuppa.

They both concern KCC.

The first, under the banner, 'Council narrowly backs plan to make Whitfield the "Garage of England"' , describes the currently situation with the Whitfield/Guston Brexit lorry park. The voices quoted against were those of the admirable Hythe councillor, Martin Whybrow, who describes the DfT is acting as a 'law unto themselves' and Barry Lewis who coins the 'Garage of England' line. The article concludes that development of the fields at Guston will await a final decision from Robert Jenryk next month.

We'll pop that one down as a 'maybe' still then, shall we?

On the facing page we have 'Council gives green light to controversial Dover bus plan'. Somewhat old news now, I know, but my £1.50 purchase price was made worthwhile in an instant when I read this from some chap named Matthew Balfour who was apparently a cabinet member for transport at some time in the past. I've no idea what constituency he represents but I'm assuming it's not local.

I type verbatim from the paper.

......Cllr Matthew Balfour who was the first to speak at the meeting, said Fastrack was "very popular" in North Kent and would attract people to the town of Dover. Optimistically, Cllr Balfour added "There is much more localism in terms of office use and people do want to trek into the city but they still want to meet. The way Dover is changing with the work to the Market Square, the new marina and all the other elements that Dover council have in chain will make it an immensely suitable place where people will want to meet and get together."

Well, there we have it, folks. Local government in Kent at its best.

end link