Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

An enjoyable debate. Here are a few observations:

Spain is always talking about taking Gibraltar back, not directly, but in subtle actions. The usual trick is to slow the border crossing down to a snails pace as and when spats occur. A result to leave the EU would be devastating for Gibraltar as they are extremely reliant on Spain, from daily workforce to commissioning complex healthcare procedures. Every day life will change beyond recognition.

On the subject of healthcare, it would be a shame to see the end of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC (E111 back in the day)) scheme. That will inevitably lead to many Brits being stranded in Europe, unable to pay for healthcare whilst on holiday and in a related point, travel insurance to Europe for Brits will no doubt rocket in price.

More generally, how about all of the British pensioners living in France? Safe in the knowledge that they receive their pensions and healthcare via some arrangement or other - that arrangement being the coordination of Social Security Regulations, which of course would no longer apply. These people, by and large, will probably be Tory voters. Spain is a separate case - there are 1m Brits living in Spain (some officially, others via less obvious means), all of whom would be affected. I would estimate at least 10 times that visit Spain every year....

All of this could be sorted out via agreement, of course, but that takes time and will - and both will almost certainly be in short supply. Put another way, all of this 'we can survive on our own' stuff with little or no detail needs unpacking. I am yet to see a clear vision of what the alternative would be. It needs clarifying. Look how the falling oil price has impacted Scotland's economy - did they have a good contingency plan?

Turning to the use of Government resources. This point baffles me. The Government is pro Europe, its official position is to remain. It is therefore entirely appropriate to use all Government resources available to it to bring about that desired result. Any suggestion otherwise entirely misses the point.

As for me, I am pro Europe, but not hugely. The migrant crisis has shown Europe to be severely lacking at a time when it should be showing true leadership and usefulness. However, until the leave campaign set out a genuine vision of the future, which goes beyond patriotic chest thumbing, I couldn't consider any other option.

end link