Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Courtesy of the Telegraph(the vultures are circling).

Nearly 20 Tory MPs are threatening to rebel against the Government's plans to enshrine the date of Brexit in law including seven former ministers and two committee chairmen. The MPs confronted Julian Smith, the new chief whip, during a meeting on Monday to express their fury at the Government's plans. The rebels include many Tory MPs who are usually loyal to the Government but are concerned that fixing the date of Brexit to March 29, 2019 will "tie our hands" in negotiations.
    Labour announced that it plans to vote against the amendment. Sir Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit Secretary, said:  “Theresa May should stop pandering to the ‘no deal’ enthusiasts in her own party and withdraw these amendments. If not, Labour will vote against them to support our own amendments and guarantee a transition that protects jobs and living standards.”Those present at the meeting said that it had been "brutal" for Mr Smith as MPs vented their fury about the Government's plans. The Telegraph understands that 18 Tory MPs attended the meeting - more than enough to defeat the Government if Labour joins them in voting against the Government's amendment next month.

Tom Tugendhat, the chairman of the Foreign Affairs select committee, was among those who attended.He said: "I'm very positive about the future but this seems pointless.What difference does a week or even a month make [beyond the Brexit deadline] after 43 years?"

Oliver Heald, the former Solicitor-General and another of those who attended, said: "There were quite a lot of loyalists who never rebel who are worried about us being boxed in. "One MP who was present said: "It was a brutal meeting. There was a wonderful moment when Julian Smith kept looking round and said 'I'm not the departmental minister, I'm trying to help.

end link