Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Today I thought I ought to do something about poverty.

Whilst my 'on line persona' might appear uncaring, in real life I am quite kind and thoughtful donating a substantial sum each month to various charities which try to make life for bipeds marginally better.

Apparently there are 1.2 billion people still live below the $1.25 threshold worldwide.

Unable to think of anyone in the Dover/Deal area living in this state I decided that I must cast my net wider.

The definition of poverty generally used in the UK, as in the rest of the developed world, is set at 60% of median income.

That median UK household income at the moment is £23,200, which means the official threshold for poverty in the UK is £13,920.

Bloody Hell! Looking at my latest bank statement I find that since I am surviving on a pension (though not yet eligible for the state pension) not substantially far above 'poverty'!

Interestingly 15 per cent of outright home owners (me) and 17 per cent of people with mortgages are in 'poverty' - I didn't realise how close the leafy suburbs of Deal were to downtown Mogashishu!

Fortunately the Green Party have a solution!

£80 p/w to all (including asylum seekers and prisoners!).

Doh! This merely raises median income so we end up with roughly the same percentage in 'poverty'.

The only sensible solution is to reduce the dreadful inequalities of pay in the UK.

Why should anyone get paid more merely because he works better and more productively than those who due to 'issues' are able to give no positive input into society?

I'm seriously thinking of putting my name forward for election next May.

I think my slogan will be ' Marginally less eccentric than Vic Matcham yet slightly better argued than UKIP (or is it the other way round) - Maoist faction'

end link