Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I honestly don't know why I bother posting on here, since my ramblings are read by three apparently sane people, one ex-councillor and Howard's dog, but here goes.

Dover has more potential than almost any town in the entire country I can think of and worldwide brand recognition that money literally could not buy.

No-one goes anywhere to do what they could do elsewhere cheaper, nearer,in nicer surroundings or better, be it watching a bloody film or going to M&S.

Success is built on USPs (unique selling points) and branding.

The USP of Dover is 2,000 years of continuous history and artifacts thereof. Bath has Roman Baths, York has Vikings and both are marketed on the back of them for example.

We have Bronze Age Boat, site of Caesar's landing, Roman Pharos and Painted House, Dover Castle, Napoleonic Forts on Western Heights, WW2 -Hellfire Corner/Operation Dynamo etc etc to name but a few edited highlights.

To be unable to turn a pretty penny having the place stuffed with both national and international tourists spending a small fortune and finding that in Dover 'There is Far Too Much to do in One Day' can only suggest that those 'wise' heads running the town/district for the past decades are either very stupid or totally incompetent.

Looking at the White Cliffs Experience, DTIZ and proposed cable car, perhaps they are both?

Why is there not marketing both of the history and unique position of Dover for the future, try 'Three Thousand Years on the Frontline of England's History - now on the Future Cutting Edge Frontline of post-Brexit Britain into Europe'.

Sod building more bloody houses. Where is the high speed broadband? Where is 'free' town-wide wi-fi? Where are the start up hubs for the businesses of the future? Where are the electric car charging points?

Meanwhile when I Google 'Dover Tourism' I am invited to 'Visit White Cliffs Country' (Ha, bloody ha! How many people worldwide would know where the Hell that is?) and look round the White Mill at Sandwich! Can't wait to go.

I despair.

Don't believe me? Here's 10 reasons to Visit White Cliffs country:- http://www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk/See-Do/10-Reasons-to-Visit.aspx

When I was teaching HTML at the Grammar School if some kid had designed this I'd have told them to start again as it is crap. Hopefully no-one actually got paid for this rubbish?

end link