Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Time for a conspiracy theory courtesy of the Telegraph.

A Jeremy Corbyn ally has suggested that a group of seven MPs who quit Labour are being secretly funded by Israel. Ruth George, a Labour MP, said it was "possible" that Israel is a financial backer of the breakaway Independent Group of MPs. It came after the breakaway group of MPs accused Labour of "institutional" anti-Semitism and racism. Tom Watson, Labour's Deputy Leader, said that a “virulent form of identity politics” had seized the party, as he rallied behind Luciana Berger, a pregnant Jewish MP, who he said had become the “first casualty” of anti-Jewish hatred.

Ms George was asked on Facebook if she endorsed the position of a Labour councillor who had liked a post describing the independent MPs as "Israelis", she said: "The comment appears not to refer to the independent MPs but to their financial backers. "Support from the State of Israel, which supports both Conservative and Labour 'Friends of Israel' of which Luciana was chair is possible and I would not condemn those who suggest it, especially when the group's financial backers are not being revealed. It's important for democracy to know the financial backers for any political group or policy."

Ms George later released a statement, saying: "I unreservedly and wholeheartedly apologise for my comment. I had no intention of invoking a conspiracy theory and I am deeply sorry that my ill-thought out and poorly worded comment did this. I withdraw it completely."

end link