Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

It's about time Charlie and others started getting realistic about the scale of the problem.

The 1951 Convention was signed specifically to deal with displaced persons in Europe post 2nd World War. It specifically excluded both 'Palestinians' and those displaced during Indian independence.

The actual numbers were in the low millions and most of them were more than a bit like us - educated, Christian and able to use flush lavatories.

Since then, with the signing of the 67 Protocol on Refugees our apparent obligations have been extended to almost anyone from anywhere for any reason (including sexual orientation!).

Whenever there's some conflict in the world there's the usual cry of why can't we do something and take in those 'in fear of their life'.

Perhaps we should have taken in the between 500,000 and 1,000,000 who got killed in the Rwandan conflict in 1994? Or some of the 100,000 killed by the military or 2,000,000 who starved to death in Biafra? Anybody fancy the 650,000 Rohingha driven from Burma and living in squalor in Bangladesh?

Wouldn't we all feel a little bit better if we'd done that?

After all we managed to cope with 27,000 Ugandan Asians!

How about, as some idiot Conservative MP suggested this week, giving 4 million plus Hong Kongers UK Citizenship rights to come to the UK to re-assure them of our support?

My own solution is how about we withdraw from the 1951 convention?

I'm really sorry life is pretty crap for so many people on the planet. It used to be a bit like that over here a few hundred years ago but we managed to sort it out and most of us in this country sort of subscribe to most of the same civilised values and I'm really surprised that you are still blaming whole continents' lack of progress in science and law and art and transport and engineering on years of colonial oppression or slavery or some other crap excuse for millennia of superstition and ignorance.

Sort yourselves out, ideally without slaughtering too many of each other and without using too many fossil fuels please. Get in touch again once you've done that, in the meantime I don't honestly care.

end link