Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

From Charlie

Dover District Council has confirmed seven clean-up operations in April. Lydden Hill will be targeted on April 12, Green Lane and Whitfield Hill on April 13, the A20 on April 16, the A257 on April 19 and 23, and the A258 from rare breeds roundabout to Deal roundabout on April 27. I'm really pleased the council have taken action on this. Roadside litter is bad for the environment and creates a terrible impression to visitors and residents. I understand road closures have to be agreed with Highways England which makes things more difficult. But it simply must take place more regularly than it has been.

We live in a beautiful part of the country, but that's not the impression you get when bottles and wrappers are strewn across verges passed by millions of motorists. That is why I have been pushing the council to clear them more regularly. There are now seven clean-ups planned this month and I'm told more will follow. I have lobbied the council about roadside litter dozens of times in recent months. In March I also joined the Keep Britain Tidy campaign which featured a beach clean in Walmer and a litter pick in Dover. Litter is a blight on our beautiful corner of Kent. Everyone should be able to enjoy our stunning surroundings without them being spoilt by piles of rubbish. I welcome the council's action on this but roads must not be allowed to return to the awful state they were in.

end link