Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Excerpt from an article on the front page of today's Sunday Telegraph concerning potential disruption by the French:

"A Whitehall source said that one idea under discussion was to offer firms "incentives" to use routes other than the "short straits" between England and France. The plan, which is at an early stage, would involve spending vast sums of money boosting infrastructure in lesser-used ports to create sufficient capacity to draw trade away from the most popular routes, including from Dover and Folkestone to Calais".

If true, that makes me more angry than I've been in quite a while - to think that my money could be wasted on such a stupid and impossible idea. I had hoped we'd heard the last of it; even the brief press description above is twaddle - the capacity you'd have to boost elsewhere is first and foremost ferry uplift and that means conjuring-up more ferries and which fit the berths at either end of the non-French routes.

I do hope this is a civil servant's whizzo wheeze because we can promptly sack him/her. If, however, it comes from a politician then that would really be cause for concern.

end link