Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

A few extracts from our MP's latest missive https://natalieelphicke.com/2021/07/08/securing-border-jobs-and-investment-at-the-white-cliffs:
    "This week’s announcement of investment in new border facilities is good news for Dover."

"HMRC will be building a brand new multi-million pound border facility at the White Cliffs Business Park in Dover. Meanwhile the plan is for Port Health related checks on certain food and animal products to be made at a separate facility in Dover. This second further multi-million pound investment in port health will help to ensure that food coming from the EU meets the high standards of the UK and is safe to eat and free from disease."

"Just as important as securing the new facilities was ensuring that facilities were provided on both of our major roads – the M2/A2 and the M20/A20. At the heart of Dover’s success is that we have, unusually for a port or airport, two major motorways serving the port. This week’s announcements see Dover’s facilities provided both along the M2/A2 and the M20/A20."

I get that increasing the cost of importing foodstuffs can help UK producers and that employing people to unload lorries and reload them again can help the economy. But ensuring EU food meets high UK standards? That seems to me to adulterate Take Back Control into Let's Have Some Controls. What a wasted opportunity to ensure our border is streamlined; I'd much rather my taxes went on employing people to fill in potholes or something else of benefit.

end link