Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I feel sorry for Brexiteers, who championed for so long the cause of the UK leaving what became known as the EU. I'm sure it was a perfectly nice idea, but unfortunately they overlooked the natural tendency of London and Brussels to duck things up, as Mr Dixon would say. For example:

'Farming, Fisheries and Food Minister Victoria Prentis said: “We are rightly proud of our high standards of animal and plant goods, and we are determined to maintain them, while ensuring that operations at our ports continue to run smoothly. "'

(By "our" high standards, she means of course the ones which the EU currently has as well, unless the UK set has diverged during the past month and I haven't noticed.)

This attitude has insane results. The EU confiscates UK truckers' ham sandwiches which haven't been known to actively kill anyone in the past 20 years, yet the ham is still produced under the same regulations and could well be Dutch or Danish anyway. The UK meantime is also protecting itself from EU meat - Ashford Borough Council is reportedly recruiting around 130 staff to work at the upcoming port health service at Sevington for an estimated 124,000 checks there. According to Kent Online 'The government has provided a total of £8.8m in funding for ABC and Dover District Council for these roles, which will involve carrying out checks on imported animal products from the EU from April.'

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/hundreds-of-jobs-open-at-brexit-lorry-park-241442/.

end link