Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I'm yet to hear a convincing argument for Brexit apart from the vague notion that we will trip gaily away to the sunlit uplands of a free trade utopia unshackled by the bonds foisted upon us by those evil Brussels bureaucrats. The problem with this is that it doesn't stand up to any rational analysis.

We haven't even succeeded in rolling over our existing trade deals currently enjoyed as members of the single market. And anyone who thinks that the US under Trump will do anything other than try to feather their own nest at our expense is seriously deluded in my view. And even if they were, there is every indication that a deal would be rejected by congress if the Good Friday Agreement is jeopardized. The rest of the word will always be more persuaded by the buying power of a free trade bloc of nearly 600m people than they will be our limited market.

As a result of this anti-EU deception, we now have a country governed by the most right-wing faction of the Tory party in my lifetime. Party loyalty is one thing but supporting this mob of discredited hypocrites at the country's expense is something completely different. Thank heavens for the likes of Dominic Grieve (and others) who at least give old fashioned former Tories like me a semblance of pride.

On a local level, today's 'The World this Weekend' on Radio 4 contains an interesting look at the issues surrounding Kent and the Nord-pas-de Calais were there to be a no deal Brexit. About 70% of the programme is dedicated to it so it's worth a listen on catch-up if all you optimists dare open your eyes a little wider. The most interesting thing from my career history perspective was hearing the ever ebullient Jean-Marc Puissesseau from Calais hinting in the strongest terms that the Le Touquet Treaty would be unsustainable. Now who would have thought that?

end link