Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

ray hutstone wrote:
    Please explain how interpretation can somehow alter the fact that the laws of this country can only be changed by Parliament.

I know it's cricket season, but that's an underarmer. I for one wasn't addressing a general claim about changing the law; my comments were specific to the referendum and Briefing Paper 07212.

But while we're on the subject of facts and interpretations, and not to muddy already murky waters too much, it is a fact that the Supreme Court judgment (in the Miller case) was that a withdrawal Act was required for A50. It is also a fact that the majority judgment was arrived at through the interpretation of the relevant legal evidence by the eleven judges. It is also a fact that there were three dissenters, whose interpretation was different to that of the other eight. I don't believe that makes the minority three wrong any more than it makes the majority eight right; but it does suggest that fact and interpretation do enjoy the kind of dynamic and raunchy marriage that would make a missionary blush.

end link