Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Yes, well, contemplating what we should've done back in 2017 is beside the point in my view and 'walking away' in 2018 lacks the detail that Dover port and Cheriton need. We can debate for ages whether the sacrifices of many families (mine included) from many nations had anything to do with what morphed into the EU and/or were worth it. Frankly I don't give a damn who voted, how they voted or why; we are where we are and Brexit happens at 23:00hrs our time on Friday 29 March 2019.

Assuming I've read the ferry timetables correctly, DFDS will be arriving from Dunkerque with (what shall we say?) 200 trucks right about then, from Calais with another 200 at 23:35 and P&O will chip-in another 200 at 00:05. And so on. So my point is, in a no-deal scenario, what should the port do with 600 trucks for which there is no room?

(The outbound problems may not kick-in until a couple of hours later, once the assembly parks and Buffer Zone are full.)

To be honest, 'what should...' isn't really my point either - I mis-spoke, as global leaders say. My real point is that the port has little option but to do the only thing it can do and what it does now: let the 600 trucks go up the road and leave it to government to devise a procedure around that inevitability.

end link