Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Pablo wrote:
    WGS do you think then that we should not have restored Charles II to the throne but destroyed the monarchy instead? That would have made us by now (I think) the oldest republic in Europe. Fascinating to speculate how the intervening 358 years might have evolved. Hmmmmm, I can feel a historical novel coming on!

Suffice to say I would have been on the radical side in the Putney debates. And to think we had a head start on the French. Quelle douleur.

My father also fought in WW2, and survived. But I'm not convinced that uniting the nations is a desirable course of action: though there hasn't been a major international military conflict on mainland Europe since 1945, we have had civil war, cold war and nuclear proliferation, not forgetting myriad proxy wars in the ME, all enough to keep the MIC going, and some. Harmony is desirable, of course, but not unity, if that's what it entails. Besides, the EU showed what it could do when it stitched up Greece and, more recently, Italy.

end link