Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Why is a very valid question, Cap'n. I suppose I am taking sides because I think the current government's handling of Brexit will go down as the first catastrophic political disaster of the 21st century. But, trying to be dispassionate and objective, I can speak from many years experience of working with all our Continental partners, both commercial and government agencies, in the specific context of cross channel travel.

I used the term "firewall" advisedly. That is how the EU works and it is at the heart of the EU ethos. They will protect their free trade zone as a matter of highest priority. Their belief, rightly or wrongly, is that in order to for goods and services to move with complete freedom within the EU, they must be totally vigilant and harmonised with regards to the movement of goods in and out of 3rd status countries.

A few commentators pointed out the implications of this both before and after the referendum but they were either studiously ignored or branded as project fear merchants. There will be other chickens coming home to roost but this is by far the most important in the local context. That is why Grayling's ridiculous comments on QT stick so firmly in my craw.

end link