Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I think that one thing you can say about this whole 'get out of the EU' business is that it's adding a fair few new terms to the dictionary.

'Brexit', meaning Brexit. Actually I understood that one; necessarily involves leaving the Single Market, The Customs Union (there are effectively 2) and ECJ overview, and is reflected in Amberleaf50's post at 965.

'Hard Brexit' - no idea and still waiting for a definition.
    'Soft Brexit' - ditto.

'Cliff edge Brexit' - now overtaken by the 2nd definition of 'No deal Brexit' below.

'No deal Brexit' - it was only last week that my attention was drawn to the difference between Westminster's and Whitehall's definitions. The Westminster definition is leaving the EU without an agreed future trading relationship, whatever that might be. The Whitehall definition is leaving the EU without an agreed transition/implementation period and was reflected on tonight's Channel 4 news.

So I think the article that Mr McS linked in his post 970 should be seen in the context of these options. I don't personally know whether or not parliament can block what it sees as a bad or no deal situation; however, it seems to me that such a block could only have one outcome - the UK stays as an EU Member State, which takes you right back to the 'only advisory' vs 'democratically expressed will' views of the referendum.

end link