Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, so call me out if this is not the thing to be asking here;

I have a question regarding Brexit on the terms of the "TIR Convention". TIR stands for "Transports Internationaux Routiers or in English; International Road Transport. Some trucks

/quote "the TIR procedure enables goods to move under customs control across international borders without the payment of the duties and taxes that would normally be due at importation (or exportation)" /quote

Some trucks can have the TIR sign on their trailers, however, due to the EU being considered a "single country" and the single market , the TIR procedure has fallen mostly to mostly eastern European states and non-EU members, even though every EU country is a member of the organisation. However, the TIR system can be used from "international movements", I.e when a journey starts/ends in a non-EU state, or when a journey travels through a non-EU "third country". Thus with my knowledge, some trucks will then adhere to the TIR convention and use it themselves.
    So, if the UK leaves both the single market and the customs union, the UK would become a "third country"?

My question; Will international transport that leaves/enters the UK have to adhere to the TIR , therefore, be required to use this sign on their trucks? Also, could this become an alternative to any sort of temporary"customs deal" being negotiated in Brussels?

Source; http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/customs-procedures/what-is-customs-transit/tir-transports-internationaux-routiers-international-road-transport_en

-Regards.

end link