Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I don't think people are calling for a rerun of the Referendum result per se, rather, they are calling for the final deal to be put to a Referendum.

This has undeniable logic; first - nobody could complain about ignoring the will of the people - as you are, by your actions, asking the people to approve the deal. The perfect symmetry; the public started this, now, based on far greater knowledge and known facts, ask them to approve the deal.

From a political perspective - what if remainers are right? What if the deal turns out to be pants, the economy crashes and everyone is suffering - what then? Carry on regardless and risk everything just to keep John Redwood happy? Of course not - your way out is to ask the people. Who would want to be the PM who crashed the UK? The public are an unforgiving bunch - who is going to say "Oh well, the economy has crashed, everything is more difficult but at least there are 7 fewer Bulgarians in my town than 18 months ago! Glad I voted Brexit". Of course not, they will just turn round and blame the political class form top to bottom for taking them down this road.

Finally, Brexit removes one of the biggest political scapegoat in my lifetime - the EU. You cannot blame the EU for a bad deal, because it will no longer matter. So again, voters are not going to turn around and blame the EU on this one and in a related point, the Daily Mail will soon turn its guns on the Government of the day if it looks like the EU has 'won' as it cannot do anything else.

Where does all this leave us? I think the final deal will be put to a Referendum - with the caveat that in doing so, we are clear that we can remain in exactly the same way we are now. What I do not think should happen is no Brexit, without consulting the people - as that would be completely wrong.

end link