Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Courtesy of the Times (Didn't take him long to backtrack)

Sajid Javid appeared to backtrack on his decision to strip Shamima Begum of her British citizenship after Bangladesh insisted there was “no question” of her being allowed into that country. Ms Begum, 19, said yesterday that the decision to revoke her British citizenship was “unjust” and she was “a bit shocked”. However, the foreign ministry in Dhaka said last night that she would not be allowed into Bangladesh because she had never been a dual citizen. Shamima Begum said that it was “kind of heartbreaking” to read that she had been stripped of her British citizenship by the Home Office.

The announcement was a setback for Mr Javid, who appeared to soften his stance by telling the ITV programme Peston that he would not leave an individual “stateless”. He told the programme: “I’m not aware of any home secretary in any party in any previous government that has taken a decision that would leave anyone stateless . . . I’m not going to talk about an individual, but I can be clear on the point that I would not take a decision and I believe none of my predecessors ever have taken a decision that at the point the decision is taken would leave that individual stateless.”

At the refugee camp in Syria where The Times found her last week, Ms Begum: “I don’t know what to say. I am not that shocked but I am a bit shocked. It’s a bit upsetting and frustrating. I feel like it’s a bit unjust on me and my son.” Ms Begum gave birth at the weekend to her third child by a Dutch terrorist convicted in absentia. Her other children died of malnutrition and sickness. “It’s kind of heartbreaking to read,” she added. “My family made it sound like it would be a lot easier for me to come back to the UK when I was speaking to them in Baghuz. It’s kind of hard to swallow.”

end link