Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I do a bit of genealogical research, and I’ve seen that street-name format on electoral roles. But since I haven’t found it anywhere else, such as on censuses, I’ve assumed it was simply a printing convention. Odd one though. Perhaps capital letters were too expensive...

As for the sulphur / sulfur debate, I think both have been around for some time, but I only noticed the American spelling recently. Any argument's easily settled, though: it’s brimstone. Alternatively, as Riddley Walker has it, ‘the yellerboy stoan the Salt 4’.

Isn't it a bad idea, though, and futile, to try to fix a language? Spellings change, words come in, fade away, reappear, keeping it alive. But if you take care of the grammar, the words’ll look after themselves. And I'm less inclined now to resist American spellings and usages, as some of those arrived from England on the Mayflower. I guess, anyways.

end link