Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Regrettable apostrophe comment from Peter Hitchens:

'No, I won’t weep for the apostrophe, now obviously doomed. I can usually cope with it, but it’s clear that most people can’t, and hateful predictive text often shoves it in where it’s not wanted.

It’s hard to make a stand for this squiggle, mainly because there’s no firm rule about it.

In my childhood, Alice In Wonderland said ‘sha’n’t’ with two apostrophes. Now she says ‘shan’t’ with one apostrophe. Why? Either it’s vital, or it isn’t.'

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2019/12/index.html

What? An English stylist dissing an essential element of grammar? A 'doomed squiggle'? I should be outraged. Peter Hitchens is often very sensible (like his brother, before the Iraq war thing). But here I'd think some kind of derangement overcame him, were it not for one thing: his correct use of the apostrophe. Structure subverts content. Hurrah! He's on the apostrophe's side after all. And Lewis Carroll sha'n't be denied.

end link