Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Facetious maybe, but not stupid.

Bob, my point is that Vic's authoritarian view is not only naive but based on making vast assumptions  and generalisations, in much the same way you have of my post. (something I probably encouraged).

I firstly need to say that under no circumstance is it acceptable to drive drunk, endangering other peoples lives in a purely selfish act. I also think that there are very good arguments for the limit to be reduced to the same limits as Scotland.  What I don't think is helpful is when people just think that by banning something or passing ill conceived punitive laws, they in some way solve the problem.  If something can just be solved in such a way, then I would suggest that it wasn't really a problem in the first place.

It is very simple (almost too simple) for Vic, someone who doesn't drink, to say such a thing but all it demonstrates is a deep misunderstanding based on generalisation.  It insults people like my dad (an OAP and competent driver) who will pop into the pub at the end of a day or at lunch for just one pint.  He doesn't drink to get drunk, he drinks the weakest beer and enjoys the atmosphere.  He will often walk or get the bus if his prime objective is "to go to the pub", but often it is just a "by chance" occurrence. I agree with Phillip in the way people like my dad for instance would/could be treated (although being made to walk to the pub would reduce your carbon footprint )

Like myself, my dad loves pubs because he likes being around people and he loves beer.  I love beer, but not in a way I want to consume vast quantities. I love it in the same way I love cheese or crab or steak and chips.  I don't like being drunk (although this has happened) but enjoy a pint, it's taste and I like drinking beer whilst being around other people.  Thankfully my local pub is  a short walk but even if it wasn't I rarely stay for more than 2, and 1 is normally just right.  Anybody who says things like "you could just have a soft drink" or "why don't you just have a beer at home, it's cheaper anyway" is same sort of person that smuggles their own food into the cinema or doesn't let their kids out to buy an ice cream from the van outside because they've got "some choc-ices in the freezer".  I know the popcorn is a rip off and I know whippy ice cream doesn't really taste of much but these things are all about rituals experiences and joy.  If you are one such person that doesn't find fun in things, my advice to you is don't bother doing anything.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 32. I have always thought cars are dangerous and a waste of money.  I love many aspects public transport but the cost of it and a change in my circumstances dictated that I needed more convenience, so I bit the bullet.  My view of motoring and cars has not changed.

The real problem with drink driving, or more accurately people driving whilst drunk, is the attitude exemplified in post #13 - the belief by any individual that they "are fine" by their own evaluation.  Vic, you then say if can only have one drink then there is not point....now that really is the problem.

As for being under the influence at 9:08; with a 10 month old baby in the house, I have no interest in hitting the town and am more interested in just hitting the sack (9pm last night)...although even before having children late nights have never really been my style. 

My other post, albeit tongue in cheek was a reaction to the attitude of 'let's just ban or regulate everything, especially when it doesn't directly effect me'.  Drinking and driving should be avoided at all costs but sweeping over simplification of the issue will not change or solve the problem.

end link