Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Captain Haddock wrote:
    1. UK banks warn up to half of the £18.5bn of “bounce back” coronavirus loans are unlikely to be repaid and are lobbying the chancellor to prepare for the collapse of hundreds of thousands of small businesses.

https://t.co/swbb0SKirx via @financialtimes

2. Yes, but Dominic Cummings ....

1. Indeed. Many think that the FT's estimates might be on the cautious side. So was 'dishy' wrong in effectively nationalising the lion's share of the economy? And how will we negotiate our way out of it? Time for some grown-up government. Is 'laughing boy' capable of that?

2. A friend emailed me with the question why is the government so keen to reduce lockdown in the face of so much science based doubt as to its wisdom. 'I don't know', I replied. This was his answer.

a. To deflect from Dominic Cummings
    b. To deflect from Dominic Cummings
    c. To deflect from Dominic Cummings
    d. To deflect from fatal errors on testing, PPE, care homes and having the highest excess mortality rate over historical average in the world
    e. To deflect from Dominic Cummings

Many a true thing said in jest, eh? The serious point is, of course, that the Cummings debacle has damaged the government's reputation in a way that some consider irredemable. It was interesting that a few cabinet members had the perspicacity to keep their own counsel on the matter. You would expect lifelong lickspittles like Gove and Williamson to rally to his 'defence', however inane their plaintive musings were. But Sunak? Of course, our Natalie continues to toe the party line like an established sycophant.

The problem for so many is that a myth has been shattered. Quite apart from supposedly being the cleverest man in government, Cummings behaviour has been so hapless that many are beginning to wonder if he possesses anything resembling a brain at all. The master at reading and manipulating public opinion is looking rather foolish. What fun!

end link