Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Button wrote:
    One for WGS perhaps, in the context of schools being shut: debate the merits or otherwise of the phrase "It [Buzzfeed] adds that Mr Johnson has deep ideological reservations about turning Britain into an effective police state." (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-51999665).

Oh, the full essay, B? Maybe just some notes for now.

(btw, I've 'deep reservations' about the quality and veracity of Buzzfeed's news output, and their piece is littered with the usual journalistic references to 'insiders' and 'government sources'. But to take the statement at face value...)

Al has no ideological reservations whatsoever, since he has only one principle: power, getting it and holding on to it. He's not conservative, not fiscally, not socially nor, we now discover, politically. The most polite thing I can call him is heterodox: if it'll lift him up and keep him there he'll have it. He's a manipulator, a faux entertainer ('Boris'), an opportunist, with a long documented history in the techniques of evasion, mendacity, bluff and clowning. He knows he'll have fearful people eating out of his hand.

There it is. While I can I still say it.

end link