Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

.....’tis the season to lose your lolly........

Well spotted Jan. That dpd scam is doing the rounds again as are the scam landline ‘phone calls saying, ‘there has been some unusual activity on your bank account.’

I had one of these yesterday on my mobile, this was a first on my mobile, which I dealt with in the usual way as the call came from someone whose first language was not English.

As I have been doing more online shopping recently I have been checking charges on a daily basis as they arrived and they were up to date on Sunday.

But I decided to check anyway and was surprised to see that there had been 2 transactions totalling £500+ that were not mine.

I blocked my card online and then telephoned the bank and again found myself speaking to another foreign lady who proceeded to ask the usual security questions.

Nothing was asked that would compromise my account, but having a suspicious nature I said that I would curtail the call and use another telephone line, which I did.

Again I found myself talking to someone whose first language was not English who confirmed that my card was blocked. She asked the usual questions and said that they would query the amount of the transaction and then get back to me.

I explained that I wasn’t querying the amount but the whole transaction at which point she said ‘I need to cancel your card and transfer you to the fraud section.’

The lady’s accent on the fraud section was so broad that it was impossible to proceed with the call.

Being a persistent old sod I contacted the fraud department again and was able to
    resolve the situation and upon checking today found that I had received credit for the full amount.

As my card had been used for a purchase from Next directory online GB I suspect that the address that the purchases were sent to could be easily obtained by the bank now.

Two important points on this come to mind:

1. What use is Verified by Visa if it is not in general use?
    2. Why are some outfits still using foreign call centres whose staff are not always
    easy to understand?

I am the sole user of my credit card. As I only enter my card details online in a secure browser, change passwords and pins regularly, can only suggest that some companies may be leaving themselves open to hackers and leaking our data.

end link