Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Pye was a charlatan: the Starchild business was, surprise surprise, proven fakery. However difficult it may be for some of us to accept, we are primates, evolved ultimately from something like a bacteria, without any extra-terrestrial or supernatural intervention.

We are also storytellers, and stories are a mix of experience and imagination. They are fictions. That doesn't mean there's no truth in them, but it does mean there's no Truth in them. Personally, I get more from Ernest Hemingway's fictions than I do from the those in, say, the Bible or the Koran. That's not to say there's nothing of interest in these two collections of stories, and I'm sure they have much to say about the cultures out of which they come. I never go anywhere without my copy of In Our Time and I think everyone should read it, but I won't burn you at the stake or subject you to a lashing if you don't. I would consider it equally absurd to set up Hemingway's alter ego Nick Adams as an exemplar, to establish an institution with him at its centre, to proselytise on his behalf, to force others to 'believe' in him, and to fight wars in his name.

end link