Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Barry

Not ready to vote 'out' yet? We've never even been offered the chance to vote either way. I think that the reason for successive governments failing to honour promises of a referendum on continued British membership of the EU is that they're all running scared of an overwhelming 'No' vote; if politicians on either side believed that the British nation would approve of continued membership of the EU, then we'd have had a referendum on it years ago.

As Ian says, I don't think we'll see it in our lifetime, but I hope to see enough people voting UKIP to force a Tory rethink over the matter. I know polls can be easily dismissed (and I go along with the notion that a poll is what you want to make of it), but it does seem clear that the Tory lead is slipping. Now, if DC were to promise a referendum on EU membership - PROMISE, mind you! - then I would expect the Tory lead over Labour to be back in double figures overnight.

It really rankles that the EU can dominate our constitution to the extent it does in all areas of ourlives, and noone has had the decency to ask if we would mind very much.

end link