Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

As I have said before I don't particularly like the design of the screen but do think it could well be a positive attribute to the town centre. David H mentions the fact that it got through DDC's planning process. This does not surprise me and would say the process is more inconsistent than strict!

As for 'fitting in' and being 'dominant' I'm not quite sure what this means? Again I'd prefer it in another place, but where does it fit it? It's a giant TV, we're not talking about a new house in a Georgian terrace. Surely the only place an object of this nature would fit in, would be an oversized living room (with a giant remote control and a bowl of oversized peanuts). TV's don't 'fit in' period homes, which is why people buy those ridiculous TV cabinets to camouflage technology and progress in amongst their Laura Ashley furniture. Perhaps we could adopt a similar approach for the screen and clad the base as a classical ionic column; put the main screen in a mahogany cabinet with opening doors and a floral pelmet to finish it off! We could perhaps get advice from Prince Charles.

I would love the innovations of the past to pass through our systems such as the town and country planning act, and apply a conservative view to progress to them. I can just imagine the planning committee sitting around for Canterbury Cathedral.
    Planning officer: "Ok, do the materials match the existing?"

Archbishop: "errr, well no everything for miles is sort of wood and mud, we're going for more of a modern look and we're going to import the stone from France."

Planning officer: "Well I'm afraid it's going to have to go to committee, although I'm sure it will be passed as long as the building it not too dominant and a similar scale to surrounding structures."

Archbishop:"errrrrr......right......You do know this will really attract people to the locality!

On the subject of oversized, I saw this and thought of Burlington House:
    http://noknok.tv/2008/05/22/snake-writ-large-on-the-side-of-a-building/

end link