Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Paul
    I would agree that it is worrying that the oil companies are pulling out of alternative energy research but not surprising. Science seems unable to deliver the empirical data to support or refute the global warming argument and we are free to choose the science that best fits our viewpoint. Unfortunately this only adds to the confusion. The action of oil companies over the past twenty years is interesting. These are the companies that decided to embrace the green movement when it seemed that the oil supply was time limited - remember BP rebranded and changed its logo to an environmentally positive image - but which now look set to abandon all this. What has brought about this change of heart? Could it be science based evidence? I don't think they could convincingly argue this. It seems to me to be more likely that the rising profits from oil production have now made the exploitation of the vast oil fields of Canada and Alaska economically viable. When one realises that these fields could yield more oil than has been produced from the earth to date the attraction to the companies is obvious. Oil companies have a poor record of environmental mismanagement and damage but wield so much influence in governmental circles that they can shape policy. As the past few months have shown us profit at any cost is the model for many businesses and past records suggest that the oil companies will be happy to follow this strategy.
    There is apparently no clear cut scientific proof linking human activity to global warming but as a US presidential candidate said, if we clean up our act and the link is proved to be wrong we will still have made a positive and lasting benefit to the world.
    Mark

end link