Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

A visitor from outer space munches through the raspberry leaves

Claxton, Norfolk: The find of the week was an emperor moth, in its weird larval stage

"This has been a strange year for moths. The cold weather in the first half meant that trapping was largely a wipeout. I normally rush down to inspect the contents of my moth box like a child on Christmas morning. Yet there were few gifts on offer. Some nights in April I caught just six species but on one memorably bad May morning there were just five individuals of four species. Normally there would be six or seven times as many.
    Then the hot spell came and I have been in moth heaven. Last weekend there were 90 species in my trap..."

The above is about a third of the total text, (so there is not a great deal to read through). I thus encourage you to use the link below so you will see the accompanying photograph...

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/05/moths-visitor-outer-space-raspberry

end link