Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Ah, Marek, its sound so simple.

Last Autumn I was examining business rents in Dover with a business associate, a multi-millionnaire from France, who commented how low the business rents are in Dover!

The owners of the properties are the ones who have to decide what rents are charged on their premises and that depends on the market. Also the Council does not determine the business rates, the rateable values are determined by a division of Inland Revenue and the poundage set by the Government.

I am not sure what properties the Council owns in the Town Centre but I am pretty sure they are limited and not necessarily right for restaurants. Even if they did own an empty property suitable for a restaurant business I can see all sorts of problems with allowing a below market rent. Other restaurants would have good reason to complain about anti-competitive practices with the council effectively subsidising a commercial enterprise.

At the moment we are in very difficult economic circumstances and all our town centre businesses are up against it. Only yesterday I became aware of a shop in Canterbury having to close with the owners likely to end up bankrupted. This shop was one offering a unique and high quality service and counts celebrities among its clients (the model Katie Price being one). I knew they had problems but the recession has killed it off (I know its not an 'official' recession I am convinced we are well into a retail recession right now). If a shop like that in Canterbury cannot survive then Dover's businesses must really be having problems.

As for discount offers by DDC for advertising. I think you answered that yourself. Advertising for small businesses in local publications is not going to save any business and certainly will not be a significant factor in boosting trade. Word of mouth has far more importance for any business particularly something like a restaurant, anything brought in by such publications is the cream on top. I personally advertise in a number of 'community based' media but most of it is to obtain a profile and to support these organisations rather than with any expectation of making a lot of money from it.

end link