Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Thank you, Alex, and thank you also, PaulB and Brian. I have informed Marie Bchara, at the library.

I think this helps demonstrate reasons why such an exhibition is important. It does bring out a spectrum of opinion, which we welcome. However, I would ask that if people do write their opinions they would remember that others will be reading them - therefore, whatever is that opinion, it should be couched in respectful (ie no bad language, etc) terms. That way we will be permitted to keep the visitors' book in the library, and the book, with all the opinions and information, will become a valuable and important resource for the future. Please do remember also that incitement to religious or racial hatred is an offence.

Other reasons for the exhibition? Well, Walter is now internationally famed, but there are people who don't know his story, so it's both educational and interesting to learn more about one of our truly local heroes. Knowing his story well, I can, for example, correct instantly one inaccuracy in the comment - his parents were most certainly married!

Furthermore, the Tull family were welcomed into their community in our area, and continued to be so for decades afterwards, participating in community life. Walter's half-sister Miriam, for example, sang for over 14 years in the church choir at River, his sister Elsie was awarded the BEM for services to local hospitals. William, meanwhile, also was a war casualty, serving in British forces in the Great War - he now lies in a grave cared for by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

There are many aspects of the Tulls' life that remain to be highlighted - amongst them are their very strong family values, their Christian faith, and the fact that so many of them did so well from not only an impoverished and disadvantaged background but also after devastating family and personal tragedies. Walter also was seen as a gentleman, and I can confirm that all of the family members we have met have been thoroughly nice people.

Walter Tull is important because he was a pioneer in a challenge to prejudice, but this is only part of the story of his remarkable family. They're an inspiration in a sometimes jaded modern age, and there's much we can learn from them. As there is, indeed, from the stories and from the families of all the other Dovorian casualties we remember with honour and pride.

end link