Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

As far as I'm concerned, the one thing that will put me off a forum, and bring it into disrepute also, is seeing personal attacks on other people. I truly dislike this.

For "Dovor" - well, I haven't seen the report in the Mercury, so can't comment on how it was represented. (If anyone wishes to scan a copy and send it to me by email, please do - address on the DWMP Virtual Memorial). However, while "Dovor" per se might not work for a number of reasons, I thought I'd understood that it was about a sort of image-branding - ie linking into something that I'm sure most of us of our town, feel passionately about, and that's the history. It should be marketed. Other areas do this kind of imaging too - eg "Jane Austen Country" or ... well, "Jorvik". So in my opinion, while the approach and suggested name might be tricky/unworkable?, the discourse and thinking behind this isn't necessarily invalid.

I don't really want to enter personal comments. I dare say people see different things in others. But I will say here that from my (couple of years) acquaintance with Vic, I've found him always passionate about Dover, very involved, and full of ideas. I also haven't yet found him to have a hidden (read: unpleasant) agenda. Vic does have quite a sense of humour too - wasn't it he, who, in the discussion over street names, suggested that maybe an appropriate road to be named after him would be a cul de sac (ie dead end )?

And now - heaven help me - I actually prefer the spelling "Dovor" ! Though, maybe, if I had my way, being an Iron Age nut and all that, I'd prefer something like "Dowr". But then perhaps that couldn't authentically be written on maps ....

end link