Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

There are some very good points raised by DavidH at the start of this thread that put forward some valid way of directly easing the burden of the recession whilst still aiding growth and capacity. I do not know a great deal about economy other than from a personal level. Although I don't think a 2.5% cut in VAT will greatly affect the 'man on the street' but it will surely give some of the small business a minor amount of manoeuvrability. Surely this is a positive thing, as you say Barry this group is a hard hit group and far more vunerable than say the workers of DHB!

I always say I have no problem paying more tax as long as the system provides for society effectively. The gap between the rich and poor is so vast that the people earning obscene amounts of money should be taxed more and the people at the lower end eased up on. What the government is offering is an attempt to address some of the problems, which is better than doing nothing.

It really gets to me that some people in this country have and earn so much and then do so much to avoid paying into the system (albeit by shrewd legal financial gymnastics) These obnoxiously high earners generally display the same sort of attitude as the people at lower down the scale ripping off the system through benefit fraud, but think it's ok because they've got money. There are also people who through no fault of their own have nothing and taxing the rich more is a good attempt at addressing this vast inequality. If you want spin then start quoting the Laffer curve, which is just another one of these hilarious American economist graphs that actually applies very few figures and can be used to prove that we should neither increase or decrease tax, in other words 'do nothing' (the Tories clearly love it!) The best bit is that this depends solely on the principle we are already at the optimum level of taxation which of course it is a variable it does not offer! This is spin in parabola form!

I have no real idea how successful these measures will be (hearing sound pros and cons) and think it is sad that it is just reduced to another party political tool. I heard a member of the Conservatives on the radio last night running down everything about the moves and obviously suggesting the rich should not pay more tax; after all they are better than poor people who are just a drain on society. Some people have too much and far too many people have too little and this has nothing to do with how hard they work, or even how useful they are! Tax the rich more; I think there's still plenty of capacity left in the Laffer curve.

end link